Monday, January 2, 2012

Becoming Exuberant!


What does exuberant mean?  Exuberant can be defined as follows:
— adj
1.  abounding in vigour and high spirits; full of vitality
2.  lavish or effusive; excessively elaborate: exuberant compliments
3.  growing luxuriantly or in profusion

(this from Dictionary.com, which cites the Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 10th Edition 2009 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009)

Now that’s pretty dry.  What does it mean to me?

Live big.  Have fun.  I love the term from above – VITALITY. 

My goal for this year (and henceforth, to be honest) is to become exuberant. Why? How did I decide on this? 

I’m 41.  Been living a life that’s had its ups and downs, like most everybody else. But I’ve gotta be honest. The last 5 years or so, I’d just been plodding along. Or at least that’s how it felt to me.

Don’t get me wrong, there have been some WONDERFUL things happen in those 5 years – I have three great kids and we’ve had a lot of fun and made some great memories.  But me personally?  I felt like the vision I had originally had for my life wasn’t really happening the way I had thought it would, and frankly, I was pretty sure I didn’t want that life anymore anyway.   But I wasn’t sure what I did want. 

So I’ve been giving it some thought, and I’ve realized that what I really always wanted, was Joie de Vivre.  Love of life.  I realized that the vision I had for myself as a kid, and then teenager, and then young adult, was really less about what I did for my living, and what specific successes I saw, but more about the kind of person I wanted to be. 

And, you know what?  I’ve got some work to do!  But it’s fun work!  I am dedicating this year (and more!) to rediscovering fun.  I want to Live Big!  Become Exuberant! 

Disclaimer:  There will no doubt be lots of exclamation points in the coming year’s blog posts.  Should you find this offensive, back slowly away from this site right now :-)!

1 comment:

  1. "...I’d just been plodding along"

    sounds like the story of most people's lives!!

    ReplyDelete