Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Dreaded Comfort Zone

In order to make "living big and enjoying life" a major goal, you have to not only do more of the things that you enjoy right now, but also expand your fun list! 

If the last post was about what makes me happy now, then today's is about what I need to do to go above and beyond.   So I decided to brainstorm even more ways I can incorporate more fun and, well, exuberance, into my life.  They include:
  1. Surfing
  2. Sailing
  3. Kite surfing
  4. Snow skiing
  5. Traveling
  6. Running road races (5K, marathon)
  7. Learning more languages (Spanish. Italian. German. Relearning the French I've probably forgotten. Japanese? Chinese? More?)
  8. Sustainability and self-sufficiency (i.e. learning practical homesteader type skills, like canning, making my own soaps, lotions, cheese, yogurt, sprouts, etc).
  9. Volunteer for an environmental and/or other charitable organization
This is not my bucket list.  I've started one, of course (who hasn't?!), but the above items are more general, easy to achieve lists of things I want to learn and do in the near future. 

Over the past couple of years, I've done some reading about goal setting and "finding your true self", and the first step is always to picture yourself in the future and imagine what your ideal life would look like.  When I performed this little exercise for myself a while back, these were elements of that vision.  I've known for a while that these are things I'd love to have as part of my future life - being more active, learning new skills, etc. 

So the big question is, what stopped me from getting started on these things ages ago?  In some cases it's money.  Let's be blunt, as much as I'd love to take my kids to see Machu Picchu this summer, it's not going to happen.  Not this year. I'll be planning for the bigger ticket items, you can be sure.  A key element that makes something a goal instead of just a dream is a schedule.  A timetable by which you plan to achieve your goal.  So that's going into my ongoing goal development process.

But as I looked at my list the other day, I realized there are several things I could have started doing ages ago.  One example? Running road races. I've always been an off-and-on runner, so why have I never run a road race? 

Here it is. . . I'm admitting something I've never said out loud:  I was nervous.  Scared I wouldn't know where to go, what to do, I'd look like a big fat outsider who doesn't belong running a road race. 

Now this is just plain silly.  I know this intellectually.  Runners are generally friendly people.  There will be signs.  There will be people of all sizes and shapes.  I KNOW this!  I read Runners World, for heaven's sake!  So why did I feel this way?  I know why.  I'd become mired in the dreaded "comfort zone".

I am making a vow right now (on this blog that probably only two people are reading). . . one aspect of my personality that I'm SERIOUSLY going to challenge during this year of living exuberantly is my fear of stepping outside my comfort zone.

You know we all do it.  Well, most of us, I think.  But I HATE it!  It's probably one of the reasons I don't travel off the beaten path very often.  Or go to stores and restaurants I'm not familiar with often enough.  You get stuck in your comfort zone and suddenly realize you haven't done much that's adventurous in years!  Frankly, it's ridiculous.  What's the worst that could happen? 

One of my new mantras shall henceforth be:  "Screw it, Let's Do It" (as quoted from Sir Richard Branson in his book of the same title.)  Deep?  Profound?  Maybe not, but it is catchy - and pertinent!

So ...  (drum role, please)... As my first step up out of my rut, I have entered a 5K road race http://www.breastcancermarathon.com/, to be run on February 11, 2011 in Jacksonville, Florida!!   It's a 5K associated with the 26.2 with Donna marathon which benefits breast cancer awareness.  Maybe next year I'll do the marathon :-).

The link here (5K Your Way Rookie Running Training Plan) directs you to the 5K training program I am generally following from the SparkPeople.com website (which I highly recommend, by the way).  I'd fallen out of the habit of jogging regularly, so I figured I'd do this right and follow a predetermined plan, in the hopes of avoiding the dreaded shin splints that often have plagued me in the past.  I am on week 5 of the program, though will admit I started on week 4, as I already had been running some - just not consistently.  I run Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays.  Anyone want to train for one with me, by all means, let me know!


And yes, I've already done today's run, and it rocked. 

No comments:

Post a Comment